“Laser technologies in Cultural Heritage analysis, diagnosis and conservation”
A. June 23- 27, 2014 POLITEIA Analytical
B. June 30- July 04, 2014 POLITEIA Cleaning
Join us for an exciting journey to Crete to become acquainted with the latest developments on non-invasive optical technologies and explore their field applications in Cultural Heritage research and conservation with emphasis to resilience against climate events
WORKSHOP AIMS AND CONTENT
OPTO-CH 2014 POLITEIA thematic workshop series will introduce participants to applications of advanced laser technologies in Cultural Heritage (CH) science, diagnostics and conservation. Lectures from experts on modern laser diagnostic and analytical techniques and cleaning methodologies will be combined with practical demonstrations and laboratory hands-on sessions.
The two thematic workshops of OPTO-CH 2014 POLITEIA series are planned for the end of June- beginning of July 2014 as follows:
A. “POLITEIA Analytical”
June 23- June 27, 2014 Advanced laser technologies for analysis, diagnostics and conservation of Cultural Heritage materials and monuments
B. “POLITEIA Cleaning”
June 30- July 04, 2014, Laser technologies in Cultural Heritage conservation
Each workshop can be attended individually or participants may choose to combine them for an overall approach. Registration at each individual workshop is necessary.
WORKSHOP SERIES OUTLINE:
The lectures will introduce participants to the general concepts and principles of operation of each technique with emphasis on their analytical and diagnostic potential and applications. Selected examples and case studies will be thoroughly analysed to illustrate how optical technologies can be used in CH conservation.
T O P I C S
- Materials analysis with Optical Spectroscopy (LIBS, Raman)
- Optical coherence metrology for structural diagnosis
- Imaging and mapping; multispectral, multiphoton and THz
- Laser cleaning.
A. “POLITEIA Analytical”:
Tuesday 24th of June 2014
“Revisiting Gordion’s Pebble Mosaic“
Frank G. Matero , Professor of Architecture, Historic Preservation, University of Pennsylvania, School of Design
B. “POLITEIA Cleaning”:
Tuesday 1st of July 2014
“The laser cleaning project in the Acropolis monuments“
E. Papakonstantinou, Former Head of the Conservation Department, Acropolis Restoration Service
- Surfaces; finishes, techniques and materials; their properties, chemistry, and changes (A deTagle)
- Pigments and materials throughout the Cretan cultural times (A deTagle)
- Geophysical – satellite remote sensing and archaeo-environment (A Sarris)
- e-tools for managing the use of analytical, diagnostic and conservation methodologies (M. Doerr)
- Detecting colour remains on historic stonework; an analytical challenge (M. Vacondiou)
- Russian icons; treasures to be discovered (Y. Boycheva)
- Magnetic Resonance techniques for the analysis of Cultural Heritage materials (A Spyros)
- Discussion with the participants
Participants are invited to present cases studied they are involved in and discuss challenges that might be addressed by optical diagnostic techniques.