The team has a strong publication record with international recognition (citations) in peer-reviewed articles, invited Chapters in books and proceedings papers.
A number of selected recent publications related to the research and applications of lasers in Cultural Heritage Conservation are listed below.
ARTICLES IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
- “Determining optimum irradiation conditions for the analysis of vermilion by Raman spectroscopy”, A. Philippidis, A. Mikallou, D. Anglos, Eur. Phys. J. Plus 136, 1194 (2021). doi:10.1140/epjp/s13360-021-02186-1
- “Laser-induced fluorescence as a non-invasive tool to monitor laser-assisted thinning of aged varnish layers on paintings: fundamental issues and critical thresholds”, O. Kokkinaki, E. Dimitroulaki, K. Melessanaki, D. Anglos, P. Pouli, Eur. Phys. J. Plus 136, 938 (2021); doi.org/10.1140/epjp/s13360-021-01929-4
- “Revealing Hidden Features in Multilayered Artworks by Means of an Epi-Illumination Photoacoustic Imaging System”, G.J Tserevelakis, A. Chaban, E. Klironomou, K. Melessanaki, J. Striova, G. Zacharakis, J. Imaging, 7, 183 (2021); doi.org/10.3390/jimaging7090183
- “Review and New Evidence on the Molluscan Purple Pigment Used in the Early Late Bronze Age Aegean Wall Paintings”, S. Sotiropoulou, I. Karapanagiotis, K. S. Andrikopoulos, T. Marketou, K. Birtacha, M. Marthari, Heritage, 4 (1), 171-187 (2021); doi.org/10.3390/heritage4010010
- “Application of laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy and neural networks on archaeological human bones for the discrimination of distinct individuals”, P. Siozos, N. Hausmann, D. Anglos, Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 32 (2021), 102769; doi.org/10.1016/j.jasrep.2020.102769
- “Listening to laser light interactions with objects of art: a novel photoacoustic approach for diagnosis and monitoring of laser cleaning interventions”, G. J. Tserevelakis, P. Pouli, G. Zacharakis, Heritage Science 8, 98 (2020). doi.org/10.1186/s40494-020-00440-w
- “Materials analyses of stone artifacts from the EBA to MBA Minoan Tholos tomb P at Porti, Greece (Crete), by means of Raman spectroscopy: Results and a critical assessment of the method” G. Flouda, A. Philippidis, A. Mikallou, D. Anglos, Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 32 (2020), 102436; doi.org/10.1016/j.jasrep.2020.102436
- “Development of a hybrid photoacoustic and optical monitoring system for the study of laser ablation processes upon the removal of encrustation from stonework”, A. Papanikolaou, G. J. Tserevelakis, K. Melessanaki, C. Fotakis, G. Zacharakis, P. Pouli, Opto-Electronic Advances 3, 2, 190037‐1 (2020); doi.org/10.29026/oea.2020.190037
- “Non-invasive photoacoustic detection of hidden underdrawings in paintings using air-coupled transducers”, G. J. Tserevelakis, P. Siozos, A. Papanikolaou, K. Melessanaki, G. Zacharakis, Ultrasonics 98, 94-98 (2019); doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2019.06.008
- “Cleaning of gypsum-rich black crusts on granite using a dual wavelength Q-Switched Nd:YAG laser”, J.S. Pozo-Antonio, A Papanikolaou, A. Philippidis, K. Melessanaki, T. Rivas,P. Pouli, Construction and Building Materials 226, 721–733 (2019); doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2019.07.298
- “Laser cleaning of paintings: in situ optimization of operative parameters through non-invasive assessment by optical coherence tomography (OCT), reflection FT-IR spectroscopy and laser induced fluorescence spectroscopy (LIF)”, P. Moretti, M. Iwanicka, K. Melessanaki, E. Dimitroulaki, O. Kokkinaki, M. Daugherty, M. Sylwestrzak, P. Pouli, P. Targowski, K.J. van den Berg, L. Cartechini and C. Miliani, Heritage Science, 7:44 (2019); doi.org/10.1186/s40494-019-0284-8
- “Combined multiphoton fluorescence microscopy and photoacoustic imaging for stratigraphic analysis of paintings”, G.J. Tserevelakis, V. Tsafas, K. Melessanaki, G. Zacharakis, G. Filippidis, Optics Letters 44, 1154-1157 (2019); doi.org/10.1364/OL.44.001154
BOOKS and Invited Chapters
- “Laser Cleaning on Stonework: Principles, Case Studies, and Future Prospects”. P. Pouli, Invited Chapter; Springer Nature Switzerland AG, F. Gherardi, P. N. Maravelaki (eds.), Conserving Stone Heritage, Cultural Heritage Science, 2022; https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-82942-1_3
- “Open-air Laser-induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS)”, I. Malegiannaki, D. Anglos, Analytical Strategies for Cultural Heritage Materials and their Degradation, 1, 45-74, (2021); doi.org/10.1039/9781788015974-00045
- “Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy in heritage science”, D. Anglos; in “Chemical Analysis in Cultural Heritage”, edited by L. Sabbatini, I. D. van der Werf, De Gruyter GmbH, Berlin, Chapter 4, pp. 77-98. 2020;https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110457537
- “A multi- and interdisciplinary methodological approach for monitoring Cultural Heritage Built Assets: the HERACLES experience” A. Siatou, G. Alexandrakis, P. Pouli, A. Curulli, E. Kavoulaki, S. Knezic and G. Padeletti, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference TMM-CH “Transdisciplinary Multispectral Modelling and Cooperation for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage”, 13-15 December 2021 Athens, in press
- “Monitoring and mapping of deterioration products on cultural heritage monuments using imaging and laser spectroscopy”, K. Hatzigiannakis, K. Melessanaki, A. Philippidis, O. Kokkinaki, E. Kalokairinou, P. Siozos, P. Pouli, E. Politaki, A. Psaroudaki, A. Dokoumetzidis, E. Katsaveli, E. Kavoulaki and V. Sithiakaki, Proceedings of the 1st International Conference TMM-CH “Transdisciplinary Multispectral Modelling and Cooperation for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage”, 10-13 October, 2018 Athens, Greece
- “An Ontology for Cultural Heritage Protection against Climate Change”, Jürgen Moßgraber, Désirée Hilbring, Tobias Hellmund, P. Pouli, G. Padeletti, The Twelfth International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, SEMAPRO 2018, 18-22 Nov 2018
- “Towards the understanding of the two wavelength laser cleaning in avoiding yellowing on stonework: a micro-Raman and LIBS study”, A. Papanikolaou, P. Siozos, A. Philippidis, K. Melessanaki, P. Pouli, Lasers in the Conservation of Artworks XI, Proceedings of LACONA XI, P. Targowski et al. (Eds.), NCU Press, Torun, 95-104 , 2017, DOI: 10.12775/3875-4.0
- “Experimental methods on monitoring of materials surfaces in climate change conditions”, V. Tornari, E. Bernikola, J. Leissner, C. Bertolini, D. Camuffo, EWCHP-2013, 3RD European Workshop on Cultural Heritage Preservation Bozen/Bolzano, Italy, 16-18/09/2013.
- “Surface reaction under climate impact: A direct holographic visualization of assumed processes”, V. Tornari, E. Bernikola, K. Hatzigiannakis, M. Andriannakis, P. Bellendorf, C. Bertolin, D. Camuffo, L. Kotova, D. Jacobs, J. Leissner, FRINGE 2013, The 7th International Workshop on Advanced Optical Imaging and Metrology, 8-11/09/2013, Germany; doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-36359-7_177.
- “Deterioration estimation of paintings by means of combined 3D and hyperspectral data analysis” , L.G.Montagud, C. Portales-Ricart, B. Pastor-Carbonell, E. Ribes-Gómez, A. Gutiérrez-Lucas, V. Tornari, V.M. Papadakis, R.M. Groves, B. Sirmacek, A. Bonazza, I. Ozga, J.P. Vermeiren, K.Van Der Zanden, M. Föster, P. Aswendt, A. Borreman, J. D. Ward, A. Cardoso, L. Aguiar, F.Alves, P. Ropret, J.M. Luzón-Nogué, C. Dietz, SPIE proceedings Vol. 8790, Optics for Arts, Architecture and Archaelogy IV- June 2013; doi:10.1117/12.2020336.
- “Surface monitoring measurements of materials on environmental change conditions” V. Tornari, E. Bernikola, P. Bellendorf, C. Bertolin, D. Camuffo, L. Kotova, D. Jacobs, R. Zarnic, V. Rajcic, SPIE proceedings Vol. 8790, Optics for Arts, Architecture and Archaelogy IV- June 2013; doi:10.1117/12.2022521.